For over 35 years,
Northwest Housing Alternatives (NHA) has been a leading not-for-profit
developer of affordable housing in Oregon. Our mission is to create opportunity
through housing by developing, building, and managing rental housing designed
for Oregonians with extremely limited incomes. These homes help families live
healthy and stable lives, allow older adults to age in place, and give people
with special needs a dignified residence. Along with providing affordable
housing, NHA provides services that connect tenants to critical health and
community resources, work to prevent homelessness before it begins, and offer
emergency shelter and services for families experiencing homelessness.
Position Summary: The
Housing Developer I position performs work in the real estate development of
housing projects to further the Northwest Housing Alternatives’ (NHA) mission
to provide affordable housing to those with low incomes including families,
seniors, people with disabilities and people experiencing homelessness.
Housing Developer I takes a lead role in managing the real estate development
process—e.g. identifying sites, evaluating project feasibility, securing
financing, supervising construction, and transitioning new construction / rehab
projects to NHA’s Asset Management Department.
These tasks include providing direction to a large team of varied partners.
1. Assess feasibility of project development and
2. Conduct research on housing needs and market
conditions for specific projects.
3. Obtain financing for projects including grants, loans,
tax credits and other subsidies. Prepare
funding applications, negotiate financing agreements and lead real estate
4. Assemble and manage development teams (architects, contractors,
attorneys, construction managers and other consultants).
5. Obtain bids for professional services, enter into
contracts and supervise performance of project partners such as general
contractors, architects, surveyors, geotech, soils engineers, etc.
6. Work with social service providers and other community
resources to develop appropriate support services agreements for each housing
7. Manage community input and land use review processes.
8. Oversee the construction management process including
preparation of requisitions and draw requests, collaborating with Finance
department and accounting firms regarding cost certifications, and leading
9. Produce reports required by funders and investors.
10. Coordinate transition of completed projects to the
Asset Management team.
the implementation of and adherence to all NHA policies, procedures and
protocols; and actively work to implement NHA equity goals.
12. Establish and maintain records of all activities.
13. Participate in cross departmental committees such as
operation logistics, technology, safety, sustainability or equity.
14. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business Finance, Community
Development, Real Estate Development, Construction Management, or related field
or equivalent related work experience.
2. At least three years of professional experience in real
estate development, underwriting, affordable housing development, construction
management, or related field.
3. Ability to lead a project team to the successful
completion of a real estate development project.
4. Knowledge of affordable housing financing tools and
concepts including LIHTC. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory
requirements of affordable housing.
5. Skill in structuring viable financing packages and
presenting them in standardized real estate development and operating proformas.
6. Ability to prepare competitive funding applications.
7. Ability to manage complex and time-critical processes,
funding requirements and relationships to complete projects on time and on
8. Ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic, and
changing team environment.
9. Demonstrated ability to work with, and connect with, a
diverse stakeholder community.
10. Excellent oral skills and a comfort in public speaking
11. Excellent written communication skills with an
emphasis on technical writing.
12. Excellent computer skills including advanced
proficiency in Excel and online research.
13. Ability to travel to remote jobsites and spend long
hours on your feet.
14. Valid driver’s license, good driving record and own
reliable transportation with current insurance. Frequent travel within the
Portland-Metro area can be expected.
15. Demonstrated deep commitment to social and community
Preferred Knowledge, Skills
1. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
2. Knowledge of affordable housing financing tools
including OAHTC, Housing Trust Fund, CDBG, HOME, FHLB, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
3. Understanding of construction contract delivery
systems and contract types.
4. Understanding of building systems and construction
management practices. Ability to
evaluate construction risk and develop risk management plans for projects.
5. Bilingual skills and proficiency.
NHA is committed to
building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment and is actively seeking
to recruit a diverse applicant pool. NHA offers a great work environment
and an opportunity to work with a group of committed and passionate coworkers
just seven miles south of downtown Portland. NHA provides a full range of
benefits, including but not limited to the following:
health coverage through Kaiser Permanente, including multiple medical and
dental plan options; NHA contributes 100% of the cost of coverage for the
employee each year, plus an additional $250/month if the employee adds
dependents. Alternative care and vision included.
- 7% match, after the first year of employment,
for our 403(b) plan with T. Rowe Price
- Generous vacation and sick leave
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave
Alternatives is committed to supporting a diverse workforce and does not
discriminate in employment based on race, color, gender, religion, national
origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity,
or any other status protected by law.