Position: Senior Housing Developer
Status: Exempt, Full-time Regular,
Location: Hybrid work environment: Home office and Milwaukie, Oregon Office
Reports to: Director of Real Estate Development
Position Summary: The Senior Housing Developer plays a key leadership role within the Housing Development team. In addition to leading housing development projects, the position establishes and documents best practices, provides strategic advice, educates on the development process, and troubleshoots other projects with NHA’s Housing Developers, Asset Managers, Resident Service Providers and others as these colleagues collaborate on development projects.
The position provides organization and clear direction to both colleagues and external partners and is a representative of Northwest Housing Alternatives in the community. The position requires strong quantitative and qualitative analytic skills, strong writing ability, self-motivation, and the ability to communicate effectively and strategically with a variety of target audiences, including policymakers, the media, and community-based organizations and their members.
Key Developer Responsibilities:
- Assess feasibility of project development and operation.
- Conduct research on housing needs and market conditions for specific projects.
- Obtain financing for projects including grants, loans, tax credits and other subsidies. Prepare funding applications, negotiate financing agreements and lead real estate closings.
- Assemble and manage development teams (architects, contractors, attorneys, construction managers and other consultants).
- Obtain bids for professional services, enter into contracts and supervise performance of project partners such as general contractors, architects, surveyors, geotech, soils engineers, etc.
- Work with social service providers and other community resources to develop appropriate support services agreements for each housing project.
- Manage community input and land use review processes.
- Lead construction contract delivery systems and manage contracts.
- Oversee the construction management process including preparation of requisitions and draw requests, collaborating with Finance department and accounting firms regarding cost certifications, and leading project closeout.
- Produce reports required by funders and investors.
- Coordinate transition of completed projects to the Asset Management team.
- Ensure the implementation of and adherence to all NHA policies, procedures and protocols; and actively work to implement NHA social and racial equity goals.
- Establish and maintain records of all activities.
- Participate in cross departmental committees such as operation logistics, technology, safety, sustainability, and diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Senior Developer Responsibilities:
- Define housing development business lines and project concepts to meet public funder and community investment needs as well as carry out the NHA mission.
- Manage development and construction risk and create risk management plans.
- Act as Team Leader for Housing Developers. Problem-solve jointly with Housing Developers as issues arise in the completion of their respective direct tasks. Coach Housing Developers to help build their scoping, budgeting, financing and project management skills
- Negotiate financing terms with bond counsel, tax credit investors, government agencies, construction lenders, and permanent lenders.
- Represent NHA at industry and public events and meetings.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated deep commitment to social and community service.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Finance, Community Development, Real Estate Development, Construction Management, or related field or equivalent related work experience.
- At least five years of professional experience in real estate development, underwriting, affordable housing development, construction management, or related field.
- Experience in public presentations, supervising of staff, or similar roles in leadership and education.
- Ability to lead a project team to the successful completion of a real estate development project and to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to prepare competitive funding applications, and established track record of success.
- Knowledge of affordable housing financing tools and concepts including LIHTC. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of affordable housing.
- Knowledge of affordable housing financing tools including OAHTC, Housing Trust Fund, CDBG, HOME, FHLB, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
- Skill in structuring viable financing packages and presenting them in standardized real estate development and operating proformas. Including skills in financial scenario development, review and presentation.
- Direct experience negotiating financing terms with bond counsel, tax credit investors, government agencies, construction lenders, and permanent lenders.
- Understanding of construction contract delivery systems and contract types.
- Understanding of building systems and construction management practices. Ability to evaluate construction risk and develop risk management plans for projects.
- Ability to manage complex and time-critical processes, funding requirements, and partner relationships, to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic, and changing team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with, and connect with, a diverse stakeholder community.
- Excellent oral skills and a comfort in public speaking environments.
- Excellent written communication skills with an emphasis on technical writing.
- Excellent computer skills including advanced proficiency in Excel and online research.
- Ability to travel to remote jobsites and spend long hours on your feet.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and own reliable transportation with current insurance. Frequent travel within the Portland-Metro area can be expected.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Special attention will be given to applicants with a demonstrated record of closing multi-use, or multi-finance deals including to applicants with demonstrated experience in securing and closing FHA financed projects and mixed-use developments.
- Community Development and/or Commercial Real Estate Development experience
- Bilingual skills and proficiency.
NHA is committed to supporting a diverse workforce and does not discriminate in employment based on race, ethnicity, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, maritalstatus, sexual preference, or any other status protected by law.